Situated about 2 ½ kms from the centre of Mount Barker in beautiful gum studded countryside, Mount Barker Veterinary Clinic was established in 1948. Though initially setup to service the Adelaide Hills Dairy Industry, it has evolved along with the changing land usage from a rural farm practice to a mixed practice of large and small animals to now focusing on small companion animals.
Dr Digby Ambrose and Dr van Breda bought and took over the Mt Barker practice in 1983 and as the clinic grew Dr Ashley James joined the partnership in 1988.
Dr Digby Ambrose became the sole owner in 2011 and with his wife Miriam set about his long held goal of upgrading and rebuilding the Clinic. In 2012 Miriam co-ordinated and managed the building of the new extensive hospital. In February 2013 we moved the Vet Practice into the exciting newly completed, custom designed and purpose built Veterinary Hospital on the original site.
In 2021 Dr Digby and wife Miriam further extended the Veterinary clinic to increase our companion small animal focus. We now have a 'state of the art' second sterile operating theatre, dedicated radiology room, new cat ward, general dog ward and seperate large dog ward as well as practical areas of staff kitchen and education area, large vet and admin office, laundry and storage supply room. We have taken this opportunity to update and purchase all new equipment and the latest machines for the very best care and diagnostics of your valued pets. Working in such a lovely and spacious new Clinic has given everybody renewed energy and vigor.
Dr van Breda retired in July 2013 and Dr Helene Conlon join the partnership in 2013 with Dr Digby Ambrose and Dr Ashley James after working for us for a year. We were thrilled when Dr Sophie Booker joined the practice in 2015, and after 5 years of hard work was welcomed as a partner in 2020, giving the practice a younger energy and view.